“I offer no apology; I am the victim here, not a miscreant.”~ Joseph Rakofsky
Occam’s razor, also known as Ockham’s razor, or in Latin referred to as lex parsimoniae (the law of parsimony, economy or succinctness), is the principle that among competing hypotheses, the one that makes the fewest new assumptions usually offers the correct one, and that the simplest explanation will be the most plausible until evidence is presented to prove it false.
My co-defendant and local counsel in the Rakofsky v. The Internet lawsuit, Eric Turkewitz has posted a new update #4 which includes a new court filing by the plaintiff, Joseph Rakofsky:
Update #4, 1/31/12 – Rakofsky’s Reply to other defense opposition to the motion in the Appellate Division to lift the stay for him only. No response to our papers (which were served 1/26/12, one day before they were due to be served): RakofskyReply. The opposing papers to which he refers are here: Teschner (Yampolsky) Opp and Weissman (Reuters) Opp
Some may describe Rakofsky’s Reply Affidavit and legal writing in uncharitable terms:
Not I. I merely report the facts in evidence. Yet, the correct adjective escapes me…Ah, yes, “incomprehensible”, or as in Rakofsky’s own words:
The subtleties of Rakofsky’s formidable legal argument and rhetorical flourishes are exemplified in the following precatory phrasing:
As Ken @ Popehat remarked on Twitter:
par·si·mo·ni·ous (pär s -m n – s). adj. Excessively sparing or frugal. par si·mo ni·ous·ly adv. par si·mo ni·ous·ness n.
Whatever one may think of Mr. Rakofsky or his lawsuit, one cannot call him parsimonious in his prose.
Mere parsimony is not economy. Expense, and great expense, may be an essential part in true economy.
Or, in the immortal words of Titus Livius:
There is nothing worse than being ashamed of parsimony or poverty.
The day of judicial reckoning fast approaches….
Previous Related Posts:
- Zen and the Art of Blawging Maintenance (thetrialwarrior.com)
- The Rakofsky Effect: It Actually Works! (thetrialwarrior.com)
- The Rakofsky Transcript: Cost = $1400; Value = Priceless (thetrialwarrior.com)
- Testicular Fortitude and Free Speech (thetrialwarrior.com)
- The Rakofsky Effect (thetrialwarrior.com)
- Repent, for the End Is Nigh! the Rakofskylpse Is Upon Ye! (thetrialwarrior.com)
- To My Fellow “Rakofsky 74′ers”: I Salute You (thetrialwarrior.com)
- Are You A Legal Expert? Really? (thetrialwarrior.com